PCI implements a variety of programming and activities that aim to empower women. Of these, the Women Empowered (WE) program is currently implemented across the largest number of country programs. WE is dedicated to the social and economic empowerment of women through the formation of self-managed and self-sustaining savings groups. WE groups are formed based upon proven savings group methodologies which bring 15-25 members together to save money, develop financial literacy, make loans to one another, and invest in income-generating activities. Beyond that, WE groups empower women by building skills and capacities; providing leadership experience to build self-esteem and self-efficacy; increasing access to information and resources; and promoting collective action and community organizing. WE groups become a platform for members to raise awareness on important topics and act collectively to improve their lives and communities.
WE is currently implemented as a component of a variety of larger community development programs with different focus areas. These include programs focused on improving education and literacy; health; and climate change adaptation, among others. Under a previous consultancy PCI analyzed its women’s empowerment programing and the WE theory of change and measurement framework. Building upon that work, PCI is in the process of strengthening its program M&E processes to capture individual level social empowerment outcomes of the WE initiative within our projects, and to do so with greater standardization across projects. This consultancy will require thorough knowledge of savings groups and PCI’s WE methodology, its theory of change and objectives in order to effectively identify specific sets of indicators and measures that can be used to measure the empowerment impacts.
Scope of Work:
The overarching goal of the consultancy is to develop a modular collection of indicators for the Women Empowered program to track social empowerment outcomes in the key sectors in which PCI works. Towards this end, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Review key documents pertaining to PCI’s Women Empowered (WE) program.
- Participate in virtual/in person planning meetings with members of the WE team in Washington DC, San Diego and elsewhere as needed.
- Develop detailed work plan and timeline in collaboration with PCI
- Develop menu(s) of indicators that can work individually or in combination to measure women’s empowerment across key domains (domains such as agency, income, decision-making, and leadership – but will be determined with advice from consultant):
- A set of universal “core” indicators to use across all WE programs
- In complement to the above, tailored indicators to measure WE outcomes in key PCI sectors/programs (e.g. WE & Education, WE & Health, WE & Climate Change Adaptation, WE and Disaster Risk Reduction)
- Support field testing of indicators in two countries
- leading remote training to enumerators as project staff
- Conducting remote results review discussions with project staff
- Make revisions based upon field testing results
- Develop operational definitions for each indicator and
- Create data analysis and data use plans for each set of indicators
- Provide a set of overarching research / learning questions (by sector) that can be integrated into project learning agendas and correspond to the indicator sets
- Detailed work plan and deliverable schedule
- Menus of indicators to measure women’s empowerment across key domains
- Set of core indicators to measure empowerment across various WE programs
- Sets of approximately 3-6 sector/program specific indicators, i.e. WE & Education, WE & Health, WE & Climate Change Adaptation, WE & DRR (identifying ‘bare minimum’ and ‘expanded’ lists)
- Field testing protocol and analysis report
- Operational definitions of each indicator
- Data analysis plan and data use plan for the sets of indicators (potentially including examples of data visualizations)
- Survey administration guidance
- Research / Learning questions to accompany sets of indicators
- Location: Flexible
- Timeframe: Approximately September – December 2019
- Open to individual consultants or organizations
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience and expertise in measuring wide range of women’s empowerment programming (economic, social, political empowerment)
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in designing and evaluating interventions focused on women’s empowerment in Africa and the Americas
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in statistical evaluation and analysis
- Advanced university degree in International Affairs, Humanitarian Studies, Economics, Economic Development and with strong knowledge of gender issues, or related discipline.
- Fluency in English (Oral / Written)
- Bilingual (English – Spanish) preferred
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org