IUCN’s work focuses on valuing and conserving nature, ensuring effective and equitable governance of its use, and deploying nature-based solutions to global challenges in climate, food and development. IUCN supports scientific research, manages field projects all over the world, and brings governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
The IUCN European regional Office provides both European and global services to the organization by representing IUCN (and its Members, National Committees, scientific Commissions and the global Secretariat) to the key European Union institutions and other public and private actors with regional headquarters in Brussels and is responsible for regional membership and programming.
Please note that an EU work permit is an essential requirement for this position.
The main responsibilities of this key position are:
Under the supervision of the Senior Policy Manager, the Policy & Communications Officer will be responsible of performing the following tasks:
• Promote IUCN’s knowledge and policy, and increase its visibility
• Prepare or support the preparation of draft policy positions on EU policies of interest to IUCN
• Advise on Brussels office internal communications and establishment of tools for information sharing
• Act as focal point for and ensure regular liaison with global programmes and communication teams
• Overall quality control of all communication products and provide guidance and advice to colleagues on style and format of communication products and strategies
• Coordinate media work, including developing and maintaining contacts with journalists, as well as monitoring and analyzing relevant media, aiming to promote IUCN policy and knowledge in Europe, with a focus on EU media
• Ensure and prepare IUCN’s presence at main conferences and meetings, including the organization of events and exhibitions, support IUCN events in the EU
• Produce web stories, article, summaries and publications for IUCN and external channels
• Support the preparation of project proposals related to policy and communication issues.
• Support in the implementation and administration of project policy and communication activities.
• Contributing to regular internal communication flow from the Brussels Office with Headquarters
• Identify opportunities for promoting IUCN through social media
• Develop and manage the IUCN EU web pages (as part of IUCN European website) and ensure regular updates with policy, corporate, members’ news and project information
• Manage IUCN brand and ensure compliance of global communication standards in collaboration with Communications Department
• Management of communication and external activities calendar integrated with the EU policy calendar
• Ensure the monitoring and tracking EU policy developments and management of communication calendar
• Any other related activities, as required
• A minimum of 5 years of previous experience in policy analysis & communication, public relations, preferably at EU level. Experience of working in an international organization is an asset.
• University degree in environmental/political/economic sciences, international relations or European Affairs.
• Knowledge and practical experience with EU policy processes in the field of environment.
• Strong written and oral communications skills: Ability to present complex information in a clear and effective manner to different target audiences
• Knowledge and practical experience of approaches for effective communications
• Ability to present complex information in a clear and effective manner and to tailor communications to target audiences
• Demonstrated capacity to work well under pressure and successfully manage multiple deadlines and competing demands
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage
• Ability to travel occasionally
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org