REPORTING TO: General Secretary
TYPE OF POSITION: full-time, permanent contract
Upon the decisions taken at the Barcelona Congress in 2017, the European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF) embarked on a change process with the view to adapt its structure to serve better the needs of the affiliates and to achieve its renewed political objectives. Besides the progressive creation of departments covering one or several related transport modes, the aim is strengthening the horizontal dimension of ETF work. To this end, we are looking for a policy assistant to the General Secretary.
- Provide political support to the GS work including:
- Producing briefings, strategy proposals, presentations and speeches;
- Carry out research and analysis;
- Establishing and maintaining contact with institutions and stakeholders;
- Designing and coordinating solidarity actions to support affiliates in disputes.
- Coordinate and support the preparation of ETF governing bodies including planning and drafting of contents as well as monitoring implementation of decisions;
- Assist in coordinating and delivering the GS internal and external meetings;
- Support the GS to coordinate the ETF departments;
- Cooperate with the ITF Strategic Implementation Team to coordinate preparation and implementation of joint ETF/ITF projects and policies;
- Cooperate with the Communications Officers to prepare and implement communications on matters concerning the GS;
- Carry out other duties as requested by the GS.
- Graduate level or equivalent;
- Strong experience within a trade union or similar organisation;
- Good planning, project management, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to digest and summarise complex information;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision and sound organisational skills;
- Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English, additional languages are an asset;
- Respects and values equality and diversity and has an understanding of how to support this in operational activity;
- IT literate in Word, Excel and PowerPoint at intermediate level;
- Ability to exercise discretion, diplomacy, judgement and initiative;
- Maintain resilience and a positive outlook;
- Ability to undertake travel, as required.
- A full-time permanent contract with a competitive package (salary, fringe benefits and extra-legal paid leave);
- A multidisciplinary and multicultural working environment;
- Involvement in a variety of campaigns, projects and initiatives;
- The office is located in the center of Brussels.
Equal employment opportunity
ETF is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job. Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicants’ merits and abilities.
We invite any interested candidate to send a CV and a short motivation letter in English to Josef Maurer, ETF Head of Operations, by Friday 16 April 2021. Only applications sent by e-mail will be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org