UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a UNOPS Individual Contractor full-time position of Public Health Officer within the Public Health Section in the Division of Resilience and Solutions*.*
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Public Health Officer
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration: 01 January 2022 to 31 December 2022
Contract Type: UNOPS IICA, Level 2
Closing date: 15 November 2021
Start date: 01 January 2022
As part of the Public Health Section, the Public Health Officer supports UNHCR efforts at global level to ensure timely advice is provided to country and regional-based public health colleagues, support the development and application of tools and guidance in diverse contexts, support advocacy and capacity building including relating to COVID-19 vaccines, contribute to data collection, compilation and analysis efforts at country, regional and/or global level. The Public Health Officer will be instrumental supporting the annual report process including the COVID-19 related aspects, the inclusion surveys and the annual public health survey and in monitoring and supporting the work on COVID-19 vaccines including compiling regional and country-level information at global level and analysis and visualisation. She/he will provide significant support to capacity strengthening and knowledge management activities including the Public Health Community of Practice, regular webinars for regional and country level staff, the Public Health Newsletter, intranet and internet updates and assist in compiling country level experiences and lessons learnt. She/he will also support UNHCR’s engagement in UNAIDS including support to the IATT on HIV in Emergencies along with WFP. The Public Health Officer reports to the Senior Public Health Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Main tasks include:
Capacity strengthening and knowledge management
· In line with the Global Public Health Strategy support capacity strengthening and knowledge management activities within Public Health
· Support coordination and management of capacity building and information sharing sessions such as global webinars
· Support the implementation of the PHS capacity strengthening priorities in-line with 2019 audit recommendations and in collaboration with the Global Learning Center with specific emphasis on knowledge gaps identified during the capacity building surveys of UNHCR and partner staff
· Populate, manage and monitor the Community of Practice (CoP) and support expansion
· Develop the Monthly Public Health newsletter and the MHPSS Newsletter
· Create and maintain databases and spreadsheets that meet operational requirements.
· Support collection, compilation dissemination of country level good practices and lessons learnt relevant to public health responses; contribute to liaising with academia as needed
· Maintain up-to-date information on the intranet and the internet public health webpage and the HIV in Emergencies Webpage (jointly managed with WFP); respond to queries from the IATT website, update documents on the website and monitor use
· Provide support to the strengthening of MHPSS tools, guidance and capacity building activities at global level in line with the increased MHPSS needs in response to COVID-19 with specific attention to the development of a suicide prevention toolkit to assist country operations.
Data collection, analysis, visualization
· Develop data collection tools for the annual public health survey and the Public Health Inclusion survey in conjunction with the Global Data Service.
· Follow-up on health data collection, clarification on discordant and missing data, undertake data analysis, visualization and presentation related to the annual public health survey and Public Health Inclusion survey **
· Assist in monitoring and supporting the work on COVID-19 including compiling regional and country-level information on vaccines, case numbers deaths at global level, data analysis, visualization and write-up
· Contribute to the development of data collection and data analysis tools and checklists; support statistical analysis and presentation of data
· Be the backup for the Health Information Systems Officer
Support to the work of the section
· Support Public health, sexual and reproductive health, MHPSS and nutrition activities
· Be the main focal point for follow up with WHO on the Child Health in Emergencies Digital platform (CHED)
· Participate in the Global Health Cluster COVID-19 taskforce, including sharing relevant information with WHO and other partners
· Contribute to the development of PHS internal and external reports, and guidance documents as needed
· Support work of Inter-Agency Task Team on HIV in Humanitarian Emergencies along with WFP
· Assist in the coordination of the country and regional Joint Programme Monitoring System (JPMS) report and prepare the global narrative report on UNHCR’s HIV related activities
· Compile financial reports (in conjunction with DER) for the donor for the management of 2 million USD per year as well as for the UNAIDS country envelope process (approximately 952,700 USD) **
· Support human resource management obligations including functional clearances of the section **
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
· Functioning Community of practice
· Global webinars and other capacity strengthening activities supported
· Monthly Public health and monthly MHPSS newsletters
· UNAIDS narrative and financial reporting obligations supported
· Collection, analyses, visualization and presentation of annual public health survey and public health inclusion survey
· Covid-19 related data collated, analyzed, visualized and shared with relevant colleagues internally and externally
-Clinical degree in health care (e.g., medical or nursing qualification)
-Masters-level qualification or post graduate certificate in public health, nutrition or related field preferred
-Post graduate training and statistical computing and data analysis preferred
b. Work Experience
· At least 6 years of relevant experience in health-related programming including progressively responsible functions, including at least 2 years in an international capacity.
· Experience with supporting public health programming in a global function an asset.
c. Key Competencies
-Familiarity with using Power B1 required
-Good communicator with strong interpersonal and negotiations skills to deal with persons of various cultural and educational backgrounds.
-Proficiency in report writing.
-Strong logical thinking capacity and organizing skills.
-Knowledge in monitoring and evaluation.
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation and Personal History Form (PHF) indicating DRS/2021/026; First Name/Last Name, Public Health Officer, UNOPSin the subject of the email.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org