The department supports and fosters film and TV production across the state, working to grow the economy and serving as a liaison between the film & television industry and city, state and local governments, agencies, and authorities. The department has been integral in ensuring a safe and strong Covid-recovery for the arts and entertainment sectors.
The Deputy Director of the department is an integral leader on the team working under the direction of the Executive Director. The Deputy Director strategically supports implementation and administration of new and existing programs relating to the growth of the motion picture and television production industries, post-production industries, theater industries and other relevant tech and media industries across NYS. The Deputy Director assists with and leads various projects depending on their interests, abilities and departmental needs. Under the general direction of the Executive Director of the Office of Motion Picture and Television Development, the Deputy Director, is as follows:
· Provide direction, assistance, mentorship and coordination to staff as needed on all projects and daily tasks at direction of Executive Director. Assist Executive Director with office management and oversight of staff, special projects and collaborative strategies with third parties. Ensure team goals are being fulfilled, deadlines are met, reports are concise, strategic and accurate, and priorities observed.
· Prepare reports, updates and analyses on activities of the film, tv, media, tech and arts economies of the state, potential legislation which may affect these industries, and of the department, including reviews of strategic goals. Write and edit briefings on issues of relevance to the department and as preparation for meetings.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, the, analysis and tracking of legislative, regulatory and programmatic updates in the relevant industry and policy areas, for review, including recommendations for agency response and strategic implementation
· Track key industry developments, including changing industry trends, union rules, production contracts, and relevant aspects of industry ecosystems. Maintain NYS’s relationships with appropriate industry representatives to facilitate communication and ensure that NYS remains economically competitive in the changing economic landscape.
· Participate in internal planning to develop and implement projects and policies. Think strategically and problem solve by actively contributing to discussions and the execution of long-term policy visions and short-term crisis management.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, planning and implementation of direct outreach strategies (e.g., meetings with industry decision makers, festivals, regional partners, etc.). Monitor and analyze industry trends and sources to identify and actively recruit new productions and jobs to New York State.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, creation of marketing materials, articles, website content and promotional materials, talking points, strategic correspondence and other relevant materials.
· At the direction of the Executive Director and Public Affairs division, participate in events and presentations as a panelist, moderator, presenter, etc. Act as a representative for NYS at meetings when Executive Director is unable to attend. Assist with concept and execution of NYS/ESD/MPTV originated events.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, departmental liaising, data organization, and agency troubleshooting with various internal and external departments including but not limited to regional film offices around the state, legal affairs, public affairs, tax credit teams, governor’s office, various other state and local agencies. Monitor and coordinate messaging to ensure NYS remains a competitive and economic leader in the changing economy.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, facilitation of production issues (e.g., problem solving of industry challenges such as film or television location issues), scouting requests and general interaction of MPTV and other relevant State entities with physical production issues, in an attempt to foster and grow production across NYS, and especially outside of NYC.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, the use of Access and Dynamics databases for project tracking and generation of reports, working with IT on the continuing development of Dynamics database to address problems, assess effectiveness and suggest improvements. Work with Executive Director to conceive and design database solutions to improve efficiency and scope of department’s data collection and reporting.
· Lead, assist, and supervise, as relevant, the process of approving NYS Qualified Production Facilities updating forms, collecting documents, reviewing applications, and working with owners/applicants to ensure compliance with regulations. Work with Executive Director, tax credit team and legal to address QPF issues or challenges as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
Position expected to work onsite and/or remote consistent with NYS and ESD guidelines and needs.
Bachelor’s degree economics, business development, political science, government, international relations, and/or film/TV/Media and eight years of combined experience in the public/private economic development industry, motion picture or television production industry, public policy management or other relevant industries. Experience maintaining working relationships between local communities and economic industries or agencies, such as motion picture/television production companies, preferred.
Candidates should have some of the following skills: Excellent formal, media, and strategic writing. Familiarity with film/tv/theater production and/or post-production and media industries. Experience with public policy analysis. Experience Managing Staff in a fast-paced environment. Experience crafting professional research, analysis, and/or strategic plans. Experience working in a government setting. Familiarity with New York State. Understanding of economic ecosystems. Experience with project collaboration. Experience working in office settings. Experience both leading and following on project execution.
Additional Experience & Knowledge Required
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
· Familiarity with business, not-for-profit, and governmental agencies and general knowledge of New York State’s geography and economies.
· Demonstrated ability to efficiently manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously, take initiative, and work independently.
· Strong attention to detail and independent follow through
· Computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft products (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), email software, internet searching, calendar management, meeting management and other programs
· Ability to work with statistics and strong writing skills to articulate the meaning of data in readily accessible/understandable formats. • Ability to work successfully as part of a team a must
Excellent computer knowledge and skills: Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel); Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Work successfully in a fast-paced environment
Please submit resume to email address indicating job title in the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org