Under the supervision of the CNS East Asia Program Director, the Research Associate will assist in the operations and implementation of activities tasked to and performed at CNS, as described in the duties below. This is a full-time staff position.
(1) Manage and complete nonproliferation deliverables, including those focused around open source intelligence techniques, including articles, 3D models, videos, and educational tutorials.
(2) Hire, train, task, and supervise CNS graduate students, especially in open source techniques.
(3) Pursue training and professional development to grow personal expertise in open source techniques
(4) Review and approve content produced by other students and staff.
(5) Conduct original research and write reports and scholarly articles on nonproliferation for a range of additional CNS grants.
(6) Fulfill time-sensitive and often last-minute research requests as current events and media requests warrant.
Other duties as required.
M.A. degree in political science or international relations, preferably with specialization in nonproliferation and/or international security, or equivalent experience in the field. Previous research experience on WMD nonproliferation topics, with at least introductory experience with open source techniques, desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
(1) Introductory-level experience with one or more open source tools in nonproliferation such as geospatial analysis, satellite and ground imagery analysis, 3D modeling, mapping, photogrammetry, and/or video production. Willingness to pursue further open source tools training on-the-job, especially in the use of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data.
(2) Strong research, writing, analysis, and copy-editing skills, especially in a nonproliferation context.
(3) Capable of multi-tasking and working in a dynamic environment. Organizational and project management skills essential.
(4) Capable of working well with others, especially as a supervisor or team leader.
1 – 2 years of experience nonproliferation-relevant research
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Position requires light to moderate physical effort and the ability to work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Covid-19 vaccination is a condition of employment. For more information:
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org