The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 27 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 27 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: IRC San Diego has made the commitment to narrowing the “Gender Gap” in program outcomes. Programs and staff need additional support in tackling the extra barriers that women face to accessing community services and securing employment and/or pursuing future goals. The Gender Equity Operations Intern will support the administrative organization of the various Women’s Empowerment and Wellness programs, ensuring that program files and materials are kept in the best condition. The intern will also provide additional support by researching best practices to disseminate with program staff, provide administrative support, and provide assistance to new arrivals as needed.
· This position will support all aspects of planning and executing the Gender Analysis Toolkit
· Assist with client outreach
· Facilitate client interviews, qualitative and quantitative analysis
· Administrative organization and project proposals
· Other duties as assigned
1. Interns will gain firsthand experience in qualitative data collection program analysis.
2. Interns will observe how gender plays out in programs working with refugee populations.
3. Interns will experience taking an active role in running focus group discussions and key informant interviews, working directly with clients.
4. Learn the unique needs and challenges of low-income refugee women facing significant barriers to employment, education, and goal setting.
· Must be currently enrolled in a Master’s program (focused subjects such as Women’s Studies, Social Work, Public Health, International Relations/Development, and Economic Empowerment)
· Experience with both research and direct service with diverse population
· Excellent organization skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively collaborate. Needs to work with limited supervision
· English fluency required, proficiency in a refugee language (Arabic, Farsi, Swahili) a plus
· Able to commit to 2 – 3 days per week for at least 4 months or through completion of project
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org