COORDINATES WITH: Directors/Managers of the Policy Advocacy division; VP for Policy and Advocacy; US Domestic Program managers and team; colleagues in the Government Affairs; Campaigns; Communications; Themes and Fundraising. Member of the US Advocacy Team.
DIRECT REPORTS: DC-based policy staff and consultants focusing on domestic justice issues (currently 2).
PURPOSE OF POSITION: As a leader within USDP and Oxfam, the Associate Director will lead national domestic policy advocacy affecting low income people and communities of color and strengthen Oxfam’s gender just approach. Bringing a team-based approach, the candidate will contribute to Oxfam’s emerging domestic initiatives on inequality, racial justice and gender justice.
• Lead domestic policy advocacy on economic justice, worker rights and relevant racial and gender justice initiatives and provide policy support to USDP colleagues working on immigrant rights, recovery in Puerto Rico, and good jobs strategies at state levels.
• Strengthen Oxfam’s external relationships with and contribute to efforts of leading advocates, organizations and social movements with USDP’s areas of focus.
• Strengthen internal collaboration among Oxfam departments on domestic-facing advocacy and explore opportunities to connect Oxfam’s domestic agenda with Oxfam’s global and thematic areas of work.
• Lead non-partisan policy-related activities at national level related to the 2020 elections.
• Provide support and insight to the implementation of Oxfam’s 10-year strategic plan in the area of domestic policy advocacy.
• Lead and represent Oxfam as appropriate on Capitol Hill and to the Administration, in national policy fora and other external opportunities on domestic policy issues.
• Contribute to fundraising for USDP programs and advocacy through donor cultivation and idea generation.
• Contribute to corporate engagement efforts that furthers Oxfam’s domestic program strategies.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
• Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
• Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
• Will have an understanding of gender and racial justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender and racial justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
• Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
• Ability to devote full time effort to this position and travel up to 25% of the time, including international travel.
• Participate effectively in OA teams and internal processes.
• Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Government or related fields, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
• Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in policy and advocacy issues relating to domestic poverty and economic injustice.
• Demonstrated experience and ability to manage, support, and motivate teams.
• Deep knowledge of and direct experience supporting social change movements (racial justice, gender justice, economic rights, immigrant rights).
• Communications and political skills: persuasive, diplomatic and articulate. Ability to work in large interdependent teams and to provide advice on how to get people to work together effectively across those teams.
• Experience in advocacy, including research, policy, lobbying, coalition building, media work and public campaigning.
• Expert-level knowledge of issues related to social justice policies and politics affecting US poverty, inequality, racial justice and proven ability to learn and master new issues.
• High-level policy analysis skills.
• Proven writing ability in report, briefs, analysis and written testimony.
• Demonstrated proficiency in senior level management including hiring, staff management, administration, and financial.
• Experience in foundation fundraising and grant writing.
• Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting with long-distance working relationships and ability to work independently.
• Ability to meet deadlines and on occasion respond to rapidly changing events.
• Proficiency in Spanish.
• Direct experience in community-based social justice causes and issue-based advocacy and campaigning.
• Understanding of humanitarian response, climate change, human rights, elections campaign strategy, corporate engagement.
• Experience in strategic planning and learning.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org