Event and Project Manager
Full-time / 40 hours per week / Location: Washington, DC
The Office of Science and Technology at the Embassy of Austria (OSTA / OSTA Washington) seeks a passionate event and project manager to manage its events and programs to support OSTA Washington’s engagement with stakeholder groups, including Austrian scientists and innovators in North America. This position reports to the Director of the OSTA Washington. The position is based within the Austrian Embassy in Washington, DC.
About OSTA Washington:
We are driven by our key mission of
Building bridges for research & innovation between Austria and North America.
By transforming the traditional concept of science diplomacy into a dynamic professional instrument for internationalizing Austria's research and technology development, OSTA becomes a hub for Austrian science, technology, and innovation initiatives in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Serve as the lead for OSTA Washington’s event portfolio. Design, develop, and execute virtual and in-person events from conception to implementation. Events may include annual conferences, award ceremonies, lecture series, science talks, scientific poster sessions, panel discussions, holiday celebrations, networking events, and delegation visits.
- Design and implement creative and engaging event experiences. Ensure that all event stakeholders, including participants, speakers, panelists, collaboration partners, and OSTA team members have a seamless and positive experience throughout the planning, execution, evaluation, and follow-up stages of all events.
- Develop, monitor, and comply with event budgets and reporting.
- Build and grow critical procurement relationships. Define requirements, develop requests for proposal (RFP), source vendors and contractors, assess proposals, negotiate contracts, and assure compliance.
- Manage all event logistics, including day-of-event logistics. Serve as the primary point of contact for vendors, contractors, and venues during the planning and execution phases.
- Coordinate the promotion of OSTA’s events. Partner with the Science Communications Specialist to promote events, including through social media platforms, OSTA’s Website, partner outreach, and media opportunities.
- Lead project communications and build rapport with speakers and collaboration partners. Guide content coordination, communicate effectively and set the tone for engaging events.
- Create and track event performance metrics and report on performance.
- Oversee OSTA’s service portfolio for Austrian researchers and innovators in North America from initiation to completion.
- Provide customer service to OSTA’s scientist network members by leading inquiry management, facilitating collaborations, supervising information distribution, and providing support as needed.
- Grow the membership of OSTA’s scientist network through implementing outreach activities. Develop and drive the community strategy for OSTA’s scientist network and employ tools to mobilize member engagement.
- Manage and nurture relationships with OSTA’s collaboration partners. Integrate the interests and priorities of various stakeholder groups as well as detect synergies, and align competing interests to encourage cross-functional collaboration.
- Identify and initiate new collaboration opportunities. Negotiate and facilitate the implementation of collaboration agreements and memoranda of understanding (MoU).
- Maintain the use of project management templates, guidelines, operating procedures, metrics, and tools.
- Drive continuous improvement based on data analyses and lessons learned. Develop, monitor, and refine performance measurement tools.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on North American science, technology, and innovation policy developments, including in the sectors of higher education, emerging technologies, sustainability, and renewable energy.
- Strong work ethic, the ability to self-motivate, and a sense of ownership for everything you deliver. You have an entrepreneurial spirit, love working autonomously, and always show initiative to build something inspiring.
- Impeccable organizational and time-management skills. With projects and events under your charge from start to finish, you require an inherent knack for checklists, spreadsheets, timelines, and budgeting.
- Effective communication and customer service skills, as you will engage with our high-level stakeholders, collaboration partners, and network members daily.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, and as part of a motivated team.
- Capability to connect the dots, link inter-dependencies within the project, and understand key decision impacts as a big-picture thinker.
- Proven experience negotiating contracts, managing and coordinating staff, vendors, and others who are contributing to the successful execution of projects and events.
- Interest in supporting science diplomacy and working to strengthen international scientific exchange.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, international, and inter-sectorial work environment. You are comfortable with language constraints when interacting with OSTA’s stakeholders across the globe. German language skills are a plus.
- The gross salary for this position is capped at USD 58,000.-- annually.
- Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
- The benefits package includes generous vacation-, public holiday-, and sick leave policies, substantial health insurance coverage by the employer, as well as a company-issued cell phone and laptop.
- January 15, 2021; 11:59 pm EST (applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis)
- To apply for this position, please send your resume, a cover letter, and contact information of two references to [email protected]. No inquiries, please.
- E-Mail submissions must feature the following in the subject line: “Application: Event and Project Manager | First Name Last Name”.
- Due to the expected high interest in this position, only candidates who will be invited for an interview