DIVISION/TEAM: Policy Coherence & Advocacy
REPORTS TO: Chief Operations Officer
Fairtrade International is the international non-profit, multi-stakeholder organisation behind the FAIRTRADE Mark, the most recognized ethical label in the world. Fairtrade currently works with over 1,240 producer groups across 75 countries, reaching some 1.66 million smallholder farmers and plantation workers.
Fairtrade changes the way trade works through better prices, decent working conditions and a fairer deal for farmers and workers in developing countries. Fairtrade members include three Producer Networks (from Africa, Asia and Latin America) and 20 National Fairtrade Organizations (NFOs).
Fairtrade also owns a certification body, FloCert. All in the Fairtrade movement practice the principles of empowerment, capacity, transparency and fair pricing as the prerequisites of sustainable development.
Fairtrade’s five year global Strategy ‘Changing Trade, Changing Lives 2016-2020’ frames the movement’s positive and determined response to global challenges in line with the UN SDGs.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Head of Policy Coherence & Advocacy (PC&A) is responsible for ensuring Fairtrade meets the targets described in our 2020 Strategy, pertaining to Goal No 2 “Deepening impact through services and programmes“ and Goal No. 4 “influencing government policies”.
To this end, the Head of PC&A will work with and support a team of senior advisors to deliver on the impact of Fairtrade‘s work on farmers and workers, sustainable development and human rights and advocate for a coherent implementation across all relevant areas of Fairtrade‘s work. The Head of PC&A will be part of Fairtrade International’s Senior Management Team (SMT), ensuring overall alignment of and manage thematic topics at SMT level. The main strategic focus of the Head of PC&A will be on:
The Head PC&A will supervise the work across key programmatic areas including Organizational and Business Strengthening, Workers’ Rights, elimination of child and forced labour (including gender based violence, and protection of children and vulnerable adults) and Climate Resilience. She/He will be responsible to ensure the integration and delivery of the work of the Senior Policy Advisors into Fairtrade’s Global Plans against agreed indicators and targets. The Head of PC&A will work with the team in developing short- and long-term plans and budgets, monitor and review progress towards achieving targets, including reporting on a quarterly basis.
The Head of PC&A will:
- Work with Fairtrade’s Global Advocacy Working Group to determine, implement and communicate our advocacy agenda and annual work plan in line with Fairtrade’s Advocacy Framework 2016-2020, facilitating a continuous linkage to Fairtrade’s global strategy and operations;
- Coordinate the work of Senior Advisors for living wage/living income and climate change to integrate advocacy and the role of governments and public policies in their strategic/thematic plans, and guide the development of positions papers in these areas;
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Team to implement the indicators for measuring progress and collect the evidence for global advocacy;
- Provide thought leadership on the role of governments and public policies in achieving Fairtrade´s goals and pro-actively seek synergies and build and advise on partnerships/alliances/coalitions that enable achievement of agreed advocacy objectives;
- Work closely with Fair Trade Advocacy Office in building capacities of Fairtrade International members on advocacy and facilitating cross-learning on enabling public policy environments for Fairtrade. Work closely also with the International Fair Trade Towns campaign people in the movement and the International steering committee;
- Support Fairtrade International members by providing policy and advocacy briefings in the development of their own advocacy work;
- Represent the Fairtrade system in selected conferences, workshops, seminars and projects on advocacy and policy influencing.
Level of Education
- A minimum of Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Public Policy, or similar disciplines.
Knowledge/Job Specific Competencies
- At least 7 years of experience in leading, directing and managing senior professionals in multidisciplinary knowledge and service environments towards common objectives;
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience with program management, policy and advocacy working for international NGOs, development agencies or international organizations, including demonstrated experience in advocacy and policy influencing;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with the international development environment, working in multi-locations with virtual teams;
- Proven experience (at least 7 years) in programme cycle management and service delivery in multi-stakeholder organisations;
- Proven experience (at least 7 years) in driving change management processes;
- Strong network in the trade/development/human rights/policy influencing sectors;
- Working experience in developing country contexts;
- High level (or expert) understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and global trade issues;
- Knowledge of Fairtrade, understanding and identifying with Fairtrade’s values, mission and vision.
Professional Skill Requirements
- Presentation: excellent written and verbal presentation skills;
- Networking: able to build relationships across a wide range of organizations and at all levels;
- People management: able to coach and guide Senior Professionals to deliver against their own personal objectives;
- Creativity: seasoned in guiding colleagues to seek solutions to difficult problems with multiple stakeholder requirements;
- Proficiency in English essential;
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, German and/or other relevant languages will be a strong advantage.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills;
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills;
- Strong communication skills, including conflict and facilitating resolution skills;
- Proactive and pragmatic approach to relationship management;
- Sensitivity to different cultures and business styles;
- Ability to maintain strategic overview in the face of operational complexity;
- Ability to work with internal and external stakeholders with different needs and interests;
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork and people management;
- Demonstrable personal commitment to sustainable development, social justice and the struggle to end poverty.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is a full-time position within Fairtrade International;
- Location is at Fairtrade International offices in Bonn, Germany;
- The office language is English;
- Salary as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for the Wholesale and Foreign Trade Industries for North Rhine Westphalia and Fairtrade International Company Agreement on wages and salaries Group VIb;
- 30 days of holidays per year.
Applications, in the form of a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae, should be submitted via e-mail to [email protected] citing “Head of Policy Coherence and Advocacy” in the subject field.
The deadline for completed applications is October 9th, 2017.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*