The Pragma Corporation, under their USAID-funded LPFM Program, seeks a Team Leader/ Senior Monetary Economist to provide support to the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) in Tripoli, Libya. To support the CBL in its macro-financial stabilization and related regulatory and institutional reform and modernization efforts, which reflect USAID’s core goal of increased transparency and accountability within core Libyan governance systems, the LPFM will provide targeted technical support activities aimed at bringing the CBL into greater conformity with international standards and best practices across key functional areas.
The Senior Monetary Economist will:
• Develop an initial design and introduction of an effectively organized/articulated annual monetary plan – a fundamental requirement for anchoring inflation and exchange rate stability.
• Conduct economic analysis and develop proposals on opportunities for first stage indirect instruments of monetary control to promote macro-stability and financial
• Assist the CBL map out the fundamental monetary/currency management pre-requirements required to re-establish price and exchange rate stability and begin to rebuild public confidence in the stability and functionality of the financial intermediation system in Libya.
• Support the CBL in compiling basic better practice compliant monetary statistics (central bank balance sheet, commercial bank balance sheet, monetary survey).
• Carry out macro-statistical and econometric exercise to estimate monetary velocity and overall money demand and establishing a forecast for liquidity for both the public and private sectors.
• Assist the CBL to develop and initiate the implementation of a sound annual monetary plan in a manner that limits monetary emission-based deficit financing.
• Work closely with the CBL to design and gradually introduce indirect instruments of monetary control which will include facilitating compliance with reserve requirements (in coordination with the Bank Supervision Expert), the conduct of competitive and transparent forex auctions for liquidity control and forex rate smoothening purposes, and developing and gradually implementing if/as warranted overnight rediscount window operations and open market operations. T
• Work closely with the CBL to enhance the cost-efficiency/time-effectiveness of cash currency allocation processes.
• Provide targeted technical training support in all above-referenced areas.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge Requirements
• At least 8-10 years of experience and extensive knowledge of central bank monetary management issues and in-depth experience working with central bank technical and management counterparts on the design and implementation of a sound rudimentary monetary control framework.
• Donor consulting experience in similar areas.
• PhD or Master’s degree in economics or equivalent from a leading university or Bachelors degree and several years of relevant experience in the field;
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English; Arabic a plus.
• Experience of working with economic datasets and knowledge of statistical software packages would be an advantage;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in teams;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
• Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment;
• Willingness to travel and live in Libya during the assignment.
The position is open to all non-US citizens and Non-US residents. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their detailed CV, and contact information (email and phone numbers). Please include “Senior Monetary Economist” in the subject line of the application email to be considered.“
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org