WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For the past 26 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach and are building a dynamic communications team to help lead the way
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Philanthropy Assistant(PA) provides administrative support and assists all aspects of institutional giving and individual philanthropy, playing a supporting role in engaging and increasing WITNESS’ network of philanthropic supporters, strategic partners, and other allies. The PA will provide administrative assistance, maintain and track progress across all fundraising and resource mobilization, assist in the execution of vehicles for donor engagement events, including all systems management, track and implement annual fund campaigns, track online fundraising engagement analytics, conduct philanthropy, and donor research and manage our supporter contact databases and engagement systems as they relate to revenue, including data entry, donation tracking, and keeping information up to date for donors, foundations, and governments. Processing donations and acknowledgment letters, maintaining the CRM system, and keeping lists, portfolio actions, and moves management interactions up to date.
Individual Philanthropy/Strategic Partnerships/Institutional Giving
● Data management: Assist and support in the implementation of the Institutional Giving, Individual Philanthropy and Strategic Partnership strategies including moves & CRM management, events, travel, and special projects, philanthropy or strategic partnership operations, research, and communications;
● Event & Cultivation Support: Support the organization and administration of fundraising and cultivation events across the ER Team (including webinars, dinners, briefings, and panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow various constituencies;
● Donor & Partner Communication: Create relevant donor and partner materials and maintain a resource database. Draft compelling emails, notes and updates to supporters and partners.
● Portfolio Support: Lead on cohesive portfolio and supporter administration, tracking engagement and moves; creating reports, acknowledgment letters and cultivation pieces; calendarizing events, conferences, and travel, and ensuring consistent and engaging touchpoints throughout the year;
● Gift Administration & Processing: Manage the administration of all gifts (foundation, government, and individual): processing, tracking and acknowledging gifts using our donor database; ensuring accurate and timely recording of all pledges, gifts, contact information and reports; and liaising with Finance;
● Annual Fund: Coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaign outreach and administration; Coordinate, engage, and expand existing network of monthly donors;
● Research: Handle and oversee all institutional giving, major donor, strategic partner, and corporate research; Keep up to date with philanthropy, technology, and human rights trends and spaces relevant for WITNESS;
● Strategic Partnerships: Provide administrative support and support the cultivation of corporate partnership and sponsorship outreach and strategies.
● Create, analyze, and maintain supporter lists;
● Support Finance with the management payment portals as related to revenue; in kind
● Provide departmental and administrative support to Institutional Giving team, as needed
● Institutional Giving,
● Individual Philanthropy
● Events & SP Manager teams
● Annual Fund Supporters
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
● You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 1-2 years of experience.
● Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right.
● Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skills. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills. Ideally, some experience with MailChimp or a similar email platform.
● Systems: You are familiar with making systems effective and efficient and have some proficiency with CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce……)
● Research: You are a skilled researcher
● Work Habits: You are a self-starter who is highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multi-task and troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines. You enjoy improving systems, tracking the details and optimizing workflows.
● Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM. You have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail.
● Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
● You have strong analytical and budgeting skills;
● You have familiarity with managing websites and html, especially WordPress;
● You’re an effective team leader with the ability to execute on strategy, and guide, prioritize and motivate;
● You have visual media skills, such as graphic design or video editing.
Other categories may be relevant and may be added.*
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to jobs[@]witness.org with the subject line “Philanthropy Assistant” [Your name]”.**
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.