HIAS seeks a Regional Director, Latin America, to oversee and direct HIAS’ Latin America program portfolio, with a focus on refugee legal protection. S/he will ensure project compliance with agency and funder requirements and with HIAS’ international program management standards. S/he will work closely with HQ-based Global Programs staff to ensure HIAS’ methodologies and approaches are uniformly implemented across HIAS Latin America programs, taking into account the local context. Bringing a deep understanding of migration and refugee issues in Latin America, the Regional Director will work with senior management and field leadership to develop a strategic vision for HIAS in the region. This will include capacity building of legal and protection programming to deliver responsive, impactful programming to meet the needs of refugees in the region.
S/he will support regional advocacy, fundraising and media strategies; work closely with the field and HQ to evaluate and develop funding opportunities, ensure financial and program compliance, and support human resources and IT needs. S/he will meet with key stakeholders at the country, regional and global level and cultivate strategic partnerships to advance HIAS’ programs and strategies.
- Supervises and provides regular operational and programmatic support and strategic guidance to HIAS Country Directors in Ecuador, Venezuela, Panama and Costa Rica, through regular communication and visits to the region.
- Ensures that legal protection programs adhere to best practices and are responsive to the needs of the most vulnerable refugees.
- Facilitates seamless coordination between field operations and HQ in programming, operations and across sectors and outcomes with the objective of improving the quality of HIAS programs and the impact on HIAS beneficiaries.
- Working with field and HQ sector specialists, ensures HIAS programs comply with international standards, have impact, are results-oriented, evidenced-based and beneficiary-focused and reflect HQ strategic priorities at the regional and country level.
- Conducts remote and in-country monitoring of projects to ensure the achievement of key objectives, indicators, and deliverables.
- Contributes to the institutionalization of the Outcomes and Evidence Based Frameworks and HIAS’ program design tools; drafts monitoring reports and follows-up on recommendations.
- In coordination with HQ finance and grants management, follows program spending and financial compliance, works with field leadership to address variances.
- Bringing strong communications skills and regional expertise, ensures the smooth flow of information between the field and HQ relating to programs and the broader political context.
- Contributes to the identification of national, regional and global donors by developing strategic partnerships to support HIAS’ programs in Latin America.
- Ability to liaise with funders, including from private foundations, international agencies and governments and support Country Directors in negotiations with donors.
- Contributes to the program design, drafting, budget development, and editing for program proposals that are competitive and align with HIAS’ priorities as identified in its Strategic Plan.
- Represents HIAS Latin America externally, including at multi-stakeholder meetings and conferences.
- Supports and advises field and HQ leadership on regional advocacy to advance refugee protection; in coordination with Country Directors, engages in strong regional-level representation with governments, donors, international and local NGOs and networks.
- Contributes to the development and roll-out of new HQ guidance, advocating for the input and needs of HIAS field operations in Latin America as balanced against HQ requirements.
- Works collaboratively with other HIAS departments, including Finance, Grants Management & Compliance, Human Resources, IT, Development, Communications, and Advocacy.
- Working jointly with HIAS leadership, develop a vision for HIAS operations in the region, identifying opportunities for new regional operations and programs, and where appropriate, develop start-up, sustainability and exit strategies.
- Supervises the Program Officer, Latin America.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Associate VP, Program Planning and Management.
- Graduate degree in law, international relations or development, related fields or equivalent field experience.
- Fluency in Spanish (oral and written).
- Strong background in refugee or migration issues in Latin America, legal and/or protection experience preferred.
- Strategic thinker with ability to collaboratively implement programs that meet HIAS’ strategic priorities.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in program and staff management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and monitor program compliance and implement best practices to achieve high quality, evidence-based, beneficiary-focused outcomes.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to relate well with colleagues, stakeholders and beneficiaries, alike, and expertise in representation and negotiations
- Ability to mediate competing interests, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, able to identify opportunities and needs, and respond to them efficiently and taking into account the priorities of a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to travel to countries in Latin America, as needed, likely 4-6 times per year for a maximum of two weeks at a time.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to work well autonomously and in teams; excellent problem-solving skills; comfort working virtually with colleagues overseas.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org