SACAR aisbl, a Brussels-based not-for-profit organisation managing several European & international trade associations representing businesses active in the trade of agri-food products, is looking for a SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER to cover for a maternity-leave (6-months work contract).
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The tasks and responsibilities of the Sustainability Officer will be twofold – each area will require a half-time involvement, making this position a full-time one:
SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER to support the activities of the other organisations managed and hosted by SACAR in the area of the EU sustainability policy agenda (half-time position):
In close cooperation with the other SACAR team members and reporting to the Managing Director and secretaries generals of the various trade associations hosted by SACAR, the successful candidate will provide technical support, monitoring and analysis of the EU sustainability agenda (environmental & social), with a particular but non-exhaustive focus on environmentally-related policy & regulatory developments of relevance to the members of the various trade associations in the context of the EU Green Deal agenda. This is a new area of activities; therefore, the successful candidate will be expected to adequately develop the position to optimally support the existing team.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
Key tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Monitor regulatory & policy developments at EU and international levels;
- Monitor private-sector initiatives and developments in certification schemes;
- Identify issues of particular relevance to the members of the trade associations;
- Provide technical and analytical support to the trade associations on a range of issues pertaining to sustainability such as the EU circular economy agenda, life-cycle analysis, product environmental footprint, packaging, plastics, certification schemes, ethical trading, etc.;
- Write information material directed to the members of the trade associations;
- Prepare and participate in meetings.
Education & Experience:
- A University degree, ideally with a qualification in sustainability and preferably with a background in agro-economy, environmental sciences or related areas;
- Proven exposure to sustainability issues, preferably in the agriculture context and with a business focus;
- Sound knowledge of environmental issues and technical topics and familiarity with the international and EU policy agendas in these areas;
- 1 to 3 years work experience in an international environment;
- Proven hands-on experience with program support and coordination, and a good understanding of agri-trade & supply-chain related issues;
- Experience with stakeholder management and liaison (e.g. government, private companies, community organizations, NGO’s);
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a very good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint;
- Comfortable with standard IT tools. Website maintenance, production of online newsletters and other communication tools; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and standard CMS (e.g. WordPress) a plus.
Skills & Abilities:
- Team-player with a positive and a ‘can-do’/‘hands-on’ attitude;
- Able to work autonomously and with a strong sense of initiative and a pro-active and self-driven attitude;
- Service and detail-oriented and focused on results;
- An analytical and structured mind able to deal with and report on complex issues in a multicultural and multi-stakeholders’ environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, multitask and meet strict timelines;
- Excellent written and spoken English; Dutch, French, German and other EU languages an asset;
- At ease working both remotely in a multi-cultural team and within a small office environment.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org