The External Relations (ER) Unit of UNHCR's Multi-Country Office in Washington, DC (MCOW) works to inform U.S. government interlocutors (the State Department, Department of Homeland Security, Congress, and others) as well as civil society partners (NGOs, think tanks, etc.) about UNHCR’s global operations and the needs of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. The Senior Government Liaison Assistant supports the management of government/external relations activities. He/she plays a key role in monitoring U.S. legislative and policy developments related to global and domestic refugee/asylum protection and in organizing incoming visits (or virtual briefings) by senior UNHCR officials as well as outgoing trips by ER staff. As the ER team works closely with MCOW’s Public Information unit and the units concerned with refugee protection in the United States and the Caribbean, the position requires a strong team player with an interest in refugee and humanitarian programs. The position also requires excellent writing/communication skills and an understanding of the U.S. policymaking process.
The Senior Government Liaison Assistant undertakes the following activities:
- Draft routine correspondence and reports, prepare tables and draft corresponding text, prepare background material for use in discussions and briefing sessions.
- Collect, register and maintain information on the Government, local and international developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office’s relationship with the Government, including latest developments with regards to the implementation of the GCR, UN reform etc.
- Maintain close working relations with the local authorities, governmental and non-governmental implementing partners and other external parties, providing co-operation and guidance if necessary.
- Collect and maintain information on statistics regarding persons of concern.
- Assist the supervisor in preparation and facilitation of workshops, trainings, seminars and other meetings.
- Liaise directly with Government partners to provide requested information and follow-up on pending issues.
- Manage external queries and information flows by identifying and anticipating required action.
- Prepare reports and correspondence related to office´s contacts and activities.
Completion of secondary school. Certificate/training in International Relations, Political Science, Communications, or related field is desirable.
Required minimum two years of relevant job experience with high school diploma / minimum one year with Bachelor's degree or higher. Previous experience with UN/UNHCR or with another humanitarian organization is desirable.
Required competencies include excellent written and oral English communication skills (with knowledge of Spanish a plus); computer literacy (MS Word, PowerPoint, etc); and strong organization skills. Desired competencies include familiarity with the U.S. government structure and the U.S. policymaking process.
Receipt of application will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit 1) UNHCR Personnel History Form available: www.unhcr.org/recruit/unhcr-phf.docm if needed extra space, please also use Supplementary Sheet available: www.unhcr.org/recruit/unhcr-phf-sup.docm along with 2) a letter of motivation by e-mail to [email protected] quoting “Snr. Govt Liaison Assistant – UNOPS” in the subject line of the email. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees). UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org