People for Equality and Relief in Lanka (PEARL) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates for justice and self-determination for the Tamil people in the North-East of Sri Lanka. Our vision is for a Tamil nation that is inclusive, free from oppression, and able to determine its own future. Since 2005, PEARL has conducted advocacy and research to advance human rights and accountability for Tamil victim-survivors.
The Communications and Development Officer will be an independent, creative, and innovative early career professional with experience and a desire to grow in communications, fundraising, and event-planning. The work of the Communications and Development Officer will be critical to the effective implementation of our 2019–2023 strategic plan.
While this position is remote, the Communications and Development Officer reports to the Executive Director, who is based in British Columbia, Canada, and should be reasonably flexible to accomodate PEARL’s global team. The position will work closely with our Communications and Development Teams, which are based in North America.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Update and implement an iterative, comprehensive communications plan for the organization, which includes digital and traditional media forms.
- Monitor and evaluate social media performance, based on existing indicators.
- Coordinate, manage, and design posts for our social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Update website content via WordPress
- Assist with releasing statements and press releases.
- Graphic design briefs, publications, infographics, and other materials.
- Draft and finalize reports, such as news updates, newsletters, and annual reports.
- In collaboration with the Development Team, update and implement a fundraising plan for the organization, which includes soliciting individual donations and institutional grants.
- Regularly track individual and monthly donations using customer relationships management tool.
- Draft and send all individual donor communications, including thank you letters, social media, and newsletters.
- Design and implement quarterly fundraising appeals in collaboration with Development Team
- Draft and finalize intermittent reports on project status and impact for institutional donors
- Identify potential funding opportunities.
- Help prepare materials for identified funding opportunities.
- Engage with and increase giving activities.
- Coordinate fundraising events across the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Finance and Administration (20%)
- Track PEARL’s income and expenses on an ongoing basis.
- Assist with various administrative functions.
- Assist with recruiting and onboarding new volunteers.
- Refine organizational policies in collaboration with senior leadership.
- Support the preparation and execution of PEARL events, trainings, and workshops.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience in communications and event planning, preferably with a not-for-profit organization.
- Understanding of Sri Lanka’s genocide, mass atrocities, and ongoing human rights abuses against the Tamil people.
- Experience with social media and other communication tools.
- Excellent skills in graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite is an asset/preferred).
- Web design skills, including familiarity with Wordpress.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English. Tamil and other languages spoken by the diaspora are desirable, but not required.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and remotely.
- Ability to work collaboratively and flexible hours with sufficient notice.
- Experience with Tamil civil society organizations and broader Tamil diaspora organizing and engagement.
- Experience in fundraising and program management, preferably with a not-for-profit organization.
- Experience developing proposals and other narrative materials for prospective donors, including tools to approach foundations, private sector stakeholders, and individual donors.
- Ability to travel locally and internationally (COVID-permitting) for events and meetings. Accommodations can be provided.
This is a full-time, 6-month fixed-term contract with the possibility of renewal based on funding. The salary range for this position is between US$40,000 - $45,000 per year, based on skills and experience. PEARL will provide employer-paid health insurance.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and two professional references to Athavarn Srikantharajah at [email protected]. Applications are due July 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions about the application process.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org