Do you want to work at a world-leading university focused on improving society through the application of science, technology, engineering, business and medicine? Do you have a passion for international relations and partnership building?
We are recruiting for an International Relations Officer to work closely with senior IRO staff (primarily the regional team lead for Africa and the Middle East) to play a key role in developing and implementing international academic partnership strategies that help address global challenges and attract the best global talent.
Working closely with colleagues in the International Relations Office, as well as the College’s senior management and four Faculties, you will play a key role in supporting the development and implementation of academic partnership strategies spanning research, innovation and education across two regions of the world –Africa and the Middle East– that are of major importance to Imperial. You will also support a broader programme of international academic engagement initiatives to raise Imperial’s profile and support our aim to work with and educate the best globally.
The International Relations Office (IRO) is a busy, highly-visible central unit responsible for supporting the development and delivery of the College’s international engagement.
Imperial College London is ranked in the global top ten universities. Our research is defined by its internationalism, impact and innovation. Two-thirds of Imperial research involves an international collaborator, spanning more than 130 countries, making us the UK’s most international university.
Duties and responsibilities
You will develop initiatives that strengthen the College’s reputation in Europe and the Americas as a world-leading university of science, technology, business and medicine.
- You will deliver programmes designed to build research, education and innovation partnerships in the regions of responsibility, working with partners like CNRS and MIT.
- Monitor and respond to developments in science and innovation policies and programmes in assigned regions and provide timely and concise reports on key developments.
- You will support the preparation of briefing and strategy documents for use during international visits or to inform senior staff’s decision-making.
- To support and co-ordinate the arrangement of inwards and outwards visits by high-profile international and College delegations.
- When necessary, act as a key contact (‘front door’) for the College’s partners in the regions of responsibility, and ensure expectations are managed appropriately and relevant opportunities acted upon.
- Effectively promote the College’s interests externally, to organisations including foreign embassies based in the UK, British embassies overseas, collaborating peer institutions, FCDO, UUKi, and consortia partners.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with a range of internal stakeholders, including College leadership and academic colleagues.
International Relations Office projects, programmes and events (40%)
- To support a programme of international academic engagement initiatives to raise Imperial’s profile and support our aim to work with and educate the best globally
- To co-ordinate events and provide project support for strategic events, including the IRO’s Imperial Global Science Policy Forum programme and/or similar science policy or diplomacy events.
- To support the delivery of strategic international mobility programmes, such as the Global Fellows Fund, to develop the College’s international partnerships and collaborations in specific countries and/or regions.
- To contribute ideas and project management support for a programme of international academic engagement initiatives to bring together government/policymakers, academia and industry to tackle global challenges.
- To undertake any other tasks appropriate to the grade as determined by the line manager.
- When needed, to supervise routine correspondence by email, mail and telephone, including management of the International Relations Office’s general email accounts.
- We are looking for a candidate with a strategic and analytical mind-set and ability to prepare high quality briefings and reports
- Experience of dealing successfully and positively with a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Knowledge of the academic and research environment in the UK
- Flexibility and a capacity to adapt to the changing demands of the job and the wide range of partners and issues.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org