Reporting to the Director of Programmes, the Regional Programme Manager, Africa is responsible for leading the development and implementation of innovative and complex programs to deliver on IDLO’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024. The Regional Programme Manager leads and supervises programme teams in HQ and senior managers in regional and country offices. The successful candidate leads the development of regional and country strategies and ensures the development and delivery of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio in the assigned region. The incumbent engages in resource mobilization, supports IDLO’s policy research and represents IDLO with governmental and other national counterparts, donors, bilateral and multilateral partners, civil society organizations and thinks-tanks. In particular, the Regional Programme Manager, Africa will be expected to:
Ensure alignment of regional and country strategies with IDLO’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024:
- Lead and oversee the development of regional and country strategies, oversee their implementation and ensure the accountability of Country Offices for key performance indicators and alignment with organizational strategy.
Ensure overall program management and oversight:
- Manage the IDLO program portfolio for Africa, including providing substantive and managerial guidance to country and regional managers, programme personnel and technical experts, ensuring Headquarters backstopping and undertaking periodic field visits;
- Exercise financial and budgetary oversight over programs in the assigned region;
- Maintain an overview of IDLO programmes and ensure that progress, results and key achievements are monitored, captured and shared with management and donors, both orally and through regular reports;
- Oversee the design of implementation plans by means of programme cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, and monitoring reports;
- Identify and report on issues relating to programme implementation and oversee the development and implementation of innovative solutions;
- Ensure compliance with IDLO’s policies, business processes, procedures and contractual obligations in relation to programme management and implementation;
- Establish and maintain regular communications with programme partners and stakeholders at HQ and field level;
- Foster effective communication and coordination with relevant IDLO Headquarters departments, branch offices and country offices.
Lead programme teams and ensure effective, efficient, results-focused and timely delivery of activities:
- Effectively lead regional programme teams by providing clear direction, ensuring performance management and addressing professional development through ongoing dialogue and mentoring; foster a teamwork approach and address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting;
- Supervise and manage international and national technical experts and ensure that the work delivered meets quality standards;
- In collaboration with HR, develop staffing plans and engage in the recruitment and selection of employees and consultants;
- Oversee the monitoring of contracts and provide recommendations on amendments and changes to contracts.
Contribute to policy research on regional issues:
- In collaboration with concerned IDLO departments, design, research, draft, review and edit working papers, memos, briefs, and other original materials on justice, security and related developmental issues in the assigned regions;
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of political, social, and economic events, trends, and/or developments in the assigned regions and respond to internal and external requests.
Lead programme development and engage in resource mobilization:
- Under the supervision of the Director of Programmes and in collaboration with other IDLO departments, generate ideas and identify opportunities for programmatic growth and engage in resource mobilization;
- Lead the design and drafting of program and project proposals, working papers, MoUs and other strategy and programmatic documents for the assigned region;
- Advance new donor and stakeholder partnerships and manage relations with external stakeholders and donors to maintain or enhance existing relationships to the benefit of IDLO.
- Represent IDLO with bilateral and multilateral donors and partners, host-country officials (government, parliament, judiciary), technical experts, civil society and think tanks, ensuring that programmatic achievements are shared to position IDLO as a partner in the work of development in rule of law.
Education and Experience:
- Post-graduate degree in international relations, law, social sciences, international development, political sciences, international relations, Public Administration or related discipline. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience within an international organization, NGO, or government, designing and implementing complex and innovative programmes;
- Significant regional experience in Africa is required;
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of rule of law, justice sector reform, security sector reform, access to justice, or gender justice programs;
- Strong experience in developing and managing relations with major bilateral and multilateral donors;
- Substantial experience in leading teams, managing, and developing staff.
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in French is an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills and behavioral competencies:
- Proven experience in engaging with national and local authorities and multilateral organizations in the assigned regions;
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation approaches and tools;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in a diverse professional environment;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT applications;
- Acts as a role model and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences, and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down, and across) to develop and motivate others;
- Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel even to high-conflict areas, if necessary;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org